Saturday, January 28, 2006

Am here...

Anybody want anything from anywhere?
Am only in BBY and Pune for a couple of days each - so let me know asap :)
akshay

4 comments:

MavRyx said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
MavRyx said...

Its disillusionment at its best :)

MavRyx said...

Will call as soon as I get into Mumbai

MavRyx said...

Rules exist, but enforcement on most of the "little ones" is random at best - and usually has nothing to do with actually enforcing the punishment, but more to do with what the resultant personal benefit to the enforcer.

Not that this would be an issue as the rules would still be enforced, but the "personal benefit" is such a petty thing to the new upwardly mobile population currently staying in the cities that I've encountered thus far - that there is no fear of the enforcer.

The Marriot in Bombay has more "security" than Penn Station had when it was in the middle of the Subway threat. More guards, more checkers, more dogs, and more ignorance.

The quality of life that people enjoy here is amazing - on a cash flow that none of us would consider stupendous when converted to the currency of our current choosing.

The complete lack of knowledge of this fact is mind blowing.

Maybe my comparison factors are faulty, maybe my lack of experience in this economy is to blame.

I don't understand how the owner of 4 cars could complain while his driver makes 2K a month thinks of him as "Malik" and does whatever he requires of him - even things that have nothing to do with his job...

I cannot understand how a girl can keep a straigt face while telling the guy at the McDonalds Drive thru that the 2.5K he gets a month to wash about 20 car windows a day is 'good money'

Its not like I haven't had jobs like these, just that I had them in another time and place, and I never felt like the gap between the guy handing me his car and me - the guy parking his car - was insurmountable or even difficult - I just saw it as a phase, a passage of time if I must... one that I would surely surpass within my lifetime, infact before my adoloscent years were thru (yes I'm an arrogant ****)

But I don't see that in their faces, or hear it in their voices, I don't hear the way out, or even the talk of the 'next thing'.

Hypocrisy? Absolutely. Ignorant child talking about all that he walked away from? Sure.

I want the capitalistic opportnity, the 'free market', I want the ability to wipe out my competitor if I have a better product at a lower price, if I work harder, if I achieve more, and if I want it more. I want the tools to be available for me to do all this.

The last line is the only thing that bothers me about being in India.

The tools don't seem to be available...